DST Systems Case Study
This is a two part assignment. Using the example situation below
1) Complete the following Training Needs Analysis (question set below)
2) Write a one page double spaced summary over how the information collected in a Needs Analysis would benefit any trainer and why they would use this process.
SEE MY WEEK 2 DISCUSSION POST FOR MORE INFO AND TIPS ON THIS ASSIGNMENT
DST Systems: Document Manager Project
· The Application Analyst (AA) department manager, Lori Williams, called the training department and asked to sit down and discuss the new product they were rolling out to all the company’s AAs, world wide, and what training could be offered starting on August 11, 2009 and on going as they were looking to roll out Document Manager on October 2, 2009. This product would effect 2500 people.
· Lori Williams met with two trainers Sarah Ward and Caroline Smith. Lori explained that all of the AAs were creating the same documentation over and over again, but had to save it to their own desktops and were unable to share the information because they didn’t have a document repository. Document Manager was going to fix this problem. All of the AAs could then share documentation. Document Manager too would have a template in it for the AAs to use. Document Manager would make the AA’s work much easier and quicker. The AAs were asked by upper management to be more effective with their documentation. Lori wanted to train all 2500 employees world wide before Document Manger went out to the company on 10/2/09.
· Sarah and Caroline asked Lori what the AAs were using now to type up their documentation and what would be different with Document Manager. Lori explained that now AAs used Word Perfect 2001, however Document Manager would use Microsoft Word 2007. Due to this huge change Lori believes every employee effected needs to come to a training class that should last at least 2 hours long, if not longer. Since the training would have to be on a computer, the training departments computer classroom’s only hold 15 people per class. Lori also said that she would like to see each employee pass a test using Word 2007 and Document Manager before attaining access to the new programs. She went on to explain that she would also like to have online training for Document Manager and Word 2007 available for all employees via their intranet site. Lori also told Sarah and Caroline that upper management had not yet decided how to reach the global employees for this training. Times were tight and they didn’t want to pay for the employees to travel or for Sarah and Caroline to travel. Lori said that she trusted Sarah and Caroline would have the right answer for upper management.
· Lori also gave Sarah and Caroline some background on the AAs. She told them that for the most part the AA department’s abilities and familiarity with computers and software was exceptional. Lori had taken over that department only 2 years ago, but she explained how she weeded out the non performing employees and replaced them with hard working, smart, efficient ones. Sarah and Caroline were excited about working with this audience.
Training Need Assessment
· Department Supervisor:
· Desired Program:
9. What organizational goal is driving this training?
10.What will the benefit be?
11.What is the skill gap?
12.What competencies (knowledge, skills, or attitudes) will this program need?
13.What evaluation will be used to measure the level of goal achievement?
14.Who will be trained?
15.What is the estimated class size?
16.How many classes will there be and how long will this training last?
17.What are the knowledge and skill prerequisites?
Type of Training
18.What type of program is being proposed?
19.What media, if any will be used in the training?
20.What will happen if we do not delivering the training?
21.What are the restrictions or limitations for delivering a program?
22.What other methods may be used to reach the goal (include limitations and advantages)?